MARY FLANAGAN  13 DEC 1930 - 30 MARCH 2006

13 DEC 1930 – 30 MARCH 2006


The Mary Knoll Refuge Inc was founded by Mary Flanagan who was born in Scotland. She migrated to Australia with her husband Jack and settled in Whyalla, South Australia. Throughout her years, Mary helped the migrants in the area resettle and learn the English language, whilst also being actively involved with the local school and community activities.

Although she was a very busy woman, she always found the time to visit the sick and lonely through her involvement with the Catholic Church. Through this involvement Mary became a member of a prayer group which ultimately led her to the divine intervention that allowed her to walk what she always described as “the most amazing journey with our Lord”. The “multi-coloured umbrella” described in the scripture Matt 13: 31-32 was the inspiration behind her vision; a place where she could assemble people for prayer and healing. This image of a multi-coloured umbrella is now the symbol/logo for The Mary Knoll Refuge Inc.

Mary had to overcome many obstacles in her journey to  make Mary Knoll a reality, including the loss of her husband Jack in 1991, but her determination was matched only by her faith and resolve. With the help and donations from those who came to believe in Mary and her vision, The Mary Knoll Refuge Inc was officially opened by Bishop Eugene Hurley in December 2002.

Unknown to most around her, Mary’s health was slowly deteriorating and the much loved, caring lady was
finally called home on March 30 2006. She now rests alongside her husband in Honey Pot Park Cemetery,
Norlunga Downs, Adelaide.